Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Caramel Acorns

 
I crave for Fall.


I know. Spring has barely sprung and I am already dreaming of the smells, colors, and the flavors of fall. 
Fall is still another 6 months away. Sigh...


To satisfy my craving I want to share with you a sweet autumn treat that will be sure to dazzle you Fall-fanatic friends.



This recipe is a labor of love but looks absolutely Fall-tastic!

2 sticks real salted butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 tsp Saigon cinnamon
2-1/4 cups flour
 
1 cup chopped nuts, divided
1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles (jimmies)
1 package (14 ounces) caramels
1-1/2 Tbsp milk


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 
Cream butter, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon until fluffy.
Blend in 1/2 cup of the nuts.
Slowly add the flour until combined.
 
Form dough into one inch-sized balls, shaping into acorns with a pointed top. 
Place acorn-shaped dough with point up, 1" apart on un-greased baking sheets. 
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. 
Cool completely on cooling rack.

Combine the remaining 1/2 cup of nuts and sprinkles in a food processor - pulse until finely chopped. 
Pour mixture on a paper plate, wax paper, or silicone mat; set aside.
Melt caramels and milk in a bowl in microwave per package directions.

With a fork, dip acorn cookies into caramel, one at a time, turning to coat.
When coated, scrape excess caramel from bottom of cookie against top edge of bowl. 
Use another fork to carefully remove acorn from first fork onto nut and jimmie mixture to coat the bottom. 
Carefully pat nut/jimmie mixture about 1/8" up the sides of acorn cookie.
Transfer to a lined (silicone mat, wax paper, parchment paper...) cookie sheet.
Refrigerate finished cookies to set caramel.
Reheat caramel in microwave as needed to keep soft while dipping acorns. 
Store cookies in an airtight container at a cool room temperature with wax paper between layers for up to one week.

2 comments:

~Kristen~ said...

Ahhh you're killing me!!! {{{sigh}}} sweet autumn, how I miss it!!! I am excited for spring but I will take my beloved autumn any day!!!

My Colonial Home said...

Oh wow...can you say YUMMMMM.
I am certainly trying this recipe. What's not to like with this one.
Thanks for sharing.
Karen